Redlands DUI attorney explains the law
Preparing Your DUI Case
At your first meeting, be prepared to answer questions presented by your Redlands DUI attorney. Understand that any questions asked by a competent, experienced attorney are only for your benefit and with the sole goal of helping you receive a successful resolution to your case. Be prepared to discuss the events leading to your DUI charge and the events that occurred during and after your arrest. Put an attorney to work for you as soon as possible. Also, take the time to learn the potential consequences of your charge including any penalties you may suffer and your likely chance of success at trial. The more information you can provide, the better your consultation and defense.
Chronology of the incident
You will be asked by your Redlands DUI attorney to recount in chronological order the entire factual account of your arrest beginning several hours before the incident and going through your eventual release from police custody. It is best to provide as much information as possible and try to recall to the best of your knowledge exactly what alcoholic beverages you consumed and how much you drank of each in the time period leading up to your arrest. Also try to recall if you consumed any other food or beverages in the time period leading up to your arrest. It is important that your attorney receives a truthful recount of this information in order to best prepare your defense.
Prior criminal record
In addition to gathering your personal information (such as your name, address, telephone number, marital status, height, and weight), your DUI attorney will ask you for a history of any prior contact you may have had with law enforcement officers. This includes any prior criminal convictions and violations you may have on record including those involving motor vehicles.
It is important that you are truthful and fully disclose all of this information with your attorney. It is important that you understand that the information gathered is for your benefit. There are a number of reasons why full disclosure and a truthful account are important. Here are some reasons to consider:
• Your Redlands DUI attorney will need to review and verify the information you provide to ensure not only that you are being truthful, but that your attorney has full knowledge of any information that may appear on your criminal record.
• The information that you provide your DUI attorney in Redlands will serve as the basis of your defense. The information you provide will be used by your attorney to determine whether or not the state has sufficient evidence to present a successful case at trial. Your attorney will review the state’s evidence, including officers’ reports, field sobriety tests, chemical evidence, state’s witnesses, and your own prior criminal record; and will consider whether the state can prove each element of its case beyond a reasonable doubt.
• After evaluating the state’s case, your DUI attorney in Redlands will analyze the strengths and weaknesses of your case, including the probable testimony of lay and expert witnesses, defenses available to and potential penalties facing you, and relevant case law and state statutes. This will help your attorney determine how to best move forward with your case.
• If a plea bargain is determined to be an available option for you, you must understand that a prior conviction or run-in with law enforcement can have a substantial effect on your attorney’s ability to negotiate a plea bargain.
• In many cases, a prior DUI conviction can serve as a basis for a mandatory jail sentence. If you are found guilty of your DUI charge, your attorney may have grounds to attack the validity of a prior DUI conviction that you received.
If you have been charged with a driving under the influence, you need an experienced DUI attorney to work for you. The Law Office of Scott T. Stotz has extensive experience representing defendants in DUI cases. If you would like to have a free consultation and discuss your case with an experienced DUI attorney, please contact us at one of the numbers listed below to speak with an experience Redlands DUI attorney today.
Law Office of Scott T. Stotz
1255 W. Colton Ave. #121
Redlands, CA 92371
Toll Free: 888-214-9153
Riverside Office: Turner Riverwalk
11801 Pierce St., Suite 200
Riverside, CA 92505
Ontario Office: Lakeshore Center
3281 E. Guasti Road, 7th Floor
Ontario, CA 91761